Covid & Lyme

What do Lyme and Covid have to do with eachother?

For one, Long-Covid sounds a lot like Chronic Lyme. Unfortunately, Chronic Lyme is dismissed by medical professionals around the world as a fictitious disease. Long-Covid may help Chronic Lyme patients get heard, because there is now proof that a bacteria/virus can linger causing symptoms for months or years. Unless of course Long-Covid patients are being dismissed now too. I worry that's the case. Welcome to the club. Your faith in modern medicine may be shaken after this experience.

When I tested positive for the rickettsia bacteria and the bacteria that causes Lyme, I also tested positive for a few other viruses. CMV and EBV were not recent, however. They were old viruses I'd gotten at some point in my life that never really left, just went dormant. But with my immune system weakened by the Lyme, the viruses, opportunistic in nature, were active again. This is what happens with the Lyme bacteria, Borrelia Burgdorferi, it weakens your immune system to the point where you're weakened and vulnerable. That's its secret. Your body keeps a lot of things in check on a daily basis, but all of those things go to the wayside while it's busy fighting Lyme. This is what worries me about being infected with Covid. Some viruses never leave us, and scientists don't yet know whether Covid is one of them. 

My children now have it, thanks to the Alberta government for doing literally nothing to stop the virus from ravaging the schools this September. While I breathe easy knowing they've recovered, part of me knows that if they're bit by a tick at any point in their lifetime, the chances of it coming back are high. Since Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses are spreading rapidly across Canada, and since professionals can't agree on the proper treatment or prevention of Lyme disease after a tick bite, how many other Canadians with the Covid virus dormant, are going to not only acquire Lyme, but have it complicated by a dormant Covid virus?

This is my worry. 

Comments

Popular Posts