My dog just tested positive for Lyme disease

A message from a friend I haven’t spoken to in awhile. 
I’m sad for them.
I think my mother in law may have it too.
And my brothers dog. And my sisters dog.
But I don’t say those things out loud.
I’m usually a loudish person, but I’m learning to bite my tongue.
For their comfort? Not really. For my own.

Because of the speed with which we went from discussing my treatment, to discussing psychosomatic symptoms of someone who “thinks” they have cancer, but doesn’t. “What does that have to do with me?” I want to add. But I understand the implication. If I point out the implication it will be all “no no, we believe you, we know you have a real illness”. But I won’t believe them, because the seed was already planted. 

But I don’t need their belief. I have my own. Why I should have to rhyme off my symptoms to anyone is beyond me. Why I should have to explain myself, as though I’m not sick enough for them. Send them screenshots of my test results, pictures of my body when it’s at its worst. I met a woman who has dozens of copies of a book about Lyme disease that she gives to family members to read. They probably don’t read it. She needs a walker to walk. I wonder if she’s sick enough for them, or they question her too.

So I need to think of a good stock answer for those that ask how I’m doing. How’s the Lyme? How’s the treatment?

Because people rally around other illnesses, but not this one. This one is hushed, do they or don’t they? 

Accepting suggestions for how to answer that question. 

 “ I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you”
“The first rule of Lyme disease is you can’t talk about Lyme disease”
“I only discuss with other people that have it now”
“ your support for me during this difficult time has been minimal, and I’d rather not share details with you anymore”





Comments

Popular Posts