Parties Research

I just found an email to myself, reminiscing about all my favourite parties for a song I wanted to write at one time. 


David Newberry’s house concert that had surprise musical guests Picture The Ocean. The music is memorable, as are the decorations, the lights, the green balloon. The pulled pork. All of it is just squished into this positive memory. Then late late into the night there was the Drunkest Georgia singing that song she wrote on the guitar about the remand centre. Is this real life? someone said. The surprise band was really enamored by her. She was blacked out.

90s karaoke parties were memorable and entertaining. Christmas karaoke I remember Mark Strashok singing You’re a Mean One Mr Grinch.

All my Halloween, Christmas, Vintage-themed parties with elaborate foods. Chris was always living with me and the first to make a plate. Then the last to eat the squishy leftovers in the morning. 

That time Joanne put a cigarette out in her hand, or was using her hand as an ash tray.

That reunion party with Geoff wrestling everyone was the last party at my house. I was sober by then, and I got to see the whole thing with new eyes. The party laid down and went to sleep. Someone fell asleep leaning against the wall. 

or the time Geoff stuck his finger..

Carolyn Mark’s music video night. This one is on video for ever and ever and ever here. The goats showed up late. The pizza was from Pizza Bobs. The sun went down and the lights came on and the fireworks lit up everyones' faces, who'd been drinking and dancing all day. The song we played over and over and over again- upsetting Georgia. The popcorn and the keg. What a great night. Where did everyone go? And just like that the party moved down the street, downtown, off to where parties go.  Chris and Benj raced to 7/11. The party from the mansion across the street came over. They kept looking at the camera. Sandy did Goat photoshoots.


That time we tried the MDMA the night before the halloween party and Duncan was too sick to attend the actual halloween party, laying in bed for the duration. Yelling out to people who tried to come upstairs that there was no bathroom up there.

Vulcan house concert. Everyone wore wigs, I livestreamed to Facebook. There weren’t enough beds for the amount of people there so I drove everyone to a farm cranking Dolly Parton, the whole car singing Jolene, and slept in beds there. There may have been goats indoors, but they could have been dogs (same goats as the music video)  I woke up with spider bites all over my face.

The last party at George St., my last night living in Peterborough. Washboard Hank played and the fire wasn’t a fire but a sink on a garbage can we would barbecue with – so when a neighbour called the fire department because fires aren’t allowed in Ontario – they didn’t give us a ticket because we were legit and they just stayed and listened to the music. 

The afterparty at South Country Fair. We wrecked my car with duct tape in order to put up our tarp cause it was raining. We took the stragglers into our tent, Lances woofers. 4 drunk adults in a pile. Georgia wore a towel as her festival wear cause she was cold, sunburnt and under dressed in the rain, drinking palm bays. John lost his bag so we went to Lost and Found and found Georgia’s shoes instead. A sad guy in a van asked me if I wanted a hamburger, from a pile of A&W hamburgers in his passenger seat. I asked if I could have two and then used it as an opportunity to talk to David Newberry. I tweeted at him that I had an extra hamburger if he wanted. It worked and he soon became my friend.


Geoff singing, at all the parties. 

The front window smashed. No one knows by who, but Geoff feels guilty everytime he sees it so I figure it was him.

The side window broke. Chris had a night terror or something. 

The front door got pulled off. 

Twice.

That guy broke my violin strings, I'm still mad about that.

Christine broke the shower curtain. No one cared about that but she's been really sorry for about 10 years. 

 And that's all thats coming to me. 

Comments

Popular Posts