Skip to main content

What brought you to Calgary?

A van.

And then every single person that has ever asked me that question laughs, because I guess they expected something along the lines of: a job, or a boy, or to start a new life, but in every single way it was a van that brought us here.

This van to be exact:




It started before the van, though.

It started at Blue Skies, where we watched the D Rangers from Winnipeg, but had to hitchhike back to Peterborough because Georgia had to work at the Mustang Drive-In that Saturday night.



Hank told us to keep our wits about us and put on pants before we left, but instead we made this useless sign and took off. Then we hitchhiked back to Blue Skies for some reason on Sunday morning.

The highway travelling was more exhilarating than anything I'd done up that point, including film school, so why the hell not drive across Canada. Atleast I'd have something to write about.

The van was $100 and the German mechanic wouldn't approve it's safety until the rust holes were patched up with this green gook and patches. We did our best, but in the end he just rolled his eyes and did it for us.

We took off on September 5th despite the multiple warnings and predictions from family and friends. We had to turn back after 5 minutes cause Georgia forgot her cellphone. We drove by my shitty job and Georgia threw my red-t-shirt/uniform out the window where it landed in the middle of the intersection.

We stopped at a North Bay laundromat to put Georgia's clothes in the dryer as they were wet in a garbage bag for a completely normal reason. After North Bay we decided to drive non-stop until we got the fuck out of Ontario.

We camped in Wawa but couldn't cook our steak due to a fireban, so we drank all night without eating. Then one of us slept in the tent while the other slept in the van cause we were in a fight.

The next morning we finally did it. We drove into Manitoba, a completely new province.
I immediately got a Safeway card and then we went to the Winnipeg Folk Festival where the D Rangers were playing.

They let us stay at their house, but then they left us alone cause they had band practice. Jaxon's only advice was to not eat too many cookies. We did, and when they came home we were speechlessly high. We left in the morning without saying goodbye/thanks cause we were too embarrassed. (They also had a van-twin of ours parked in their backyard which blew our minds post-cookie).

I don't remember much about Regina, except we had hamburgers and beers at a nightclub.

As we approached Calgary, it started to piss down rain and our wipers were shit. We stopped at a gas station and learned how to put on new wipers, in the rain. (recently we had to do the same with Carolyn Mark on our way to Frog Fest!).

As we drove into the city in our van full of blankets, I called my friend Chris Bowen who was the only person I knew that lived in Calgary. He revealed that he never actually thought we were coming. We took the wrong exit because Georgia got too excited, and when we finally got downtown, the van immediately got towed and then we had another fight.

And that is what brought us to Calgary.



Comments

davidcombden said…
Awesome, nice to hear the actual story.
Laura Combden said…
I left out a whole bunch but that's the jist.

Popular posts from this blog

What it's really like to have a pot-bellied pig as a pet.

It's summer in Ramsay and I'm on the front porch reading when a little girl and her dad walk by. They get a few steps past the house when I hear “A pig lives in that house”. “Is that right?” her sceptical dad responds. “Yep”.

That is right.
A pig does live in this house.
My house.
Like a dog?
Yes, sort of like a dog but different.
Why did you get one?

I wish I could answer that. It might be because I saw one on a leash as kid, or because I love their cute little faces, or maybe just because I wanted to be different.

It all started at the wise old age of 24 when I googled "How to keep a pot-bellied pig as a pet". The articles were very helpful, and painted an easy life with a smart, obedient and charming pet. Filled with confidence in my pet-parent ability, I did what anyone would do; I drove to an exotic animal auction in Olds, Alberta with Georgia and bid on a baby pig while my boyfriend waited in the car. The baby pot-bellied pigs were grunting, groaning, and screaming. I …

Alberta Love

Canmore, Calgary, High River and everywhere in between was flooded out on June 20-21st by the Elbow and Bow rivers. 
Thursday 9:00 AM – The city goes to work, happy it’s almost the weekend. It’s raining.
Thursday 11:00 AM – The rain is heavy and the city declares a state of emergency.
Thursday 11:30AM – Calgarians are skeptical. 
Thursday 3:00PM –The neighbourhood of Deer Run is being told to evacuate. How strange. 
Thursday 5:00PM – We all go home and turn on the news and realize just how much the rivers may flood from the rain. Many more neighbourhoods are being told to evacuate. Evacuate to where?
Offers on facebook begin, and it sounds like a good time.





Thursday 7:00PM – “Maybe we won’t have to go to work tomorrow.”  The selfish hope of many who don’t realize the extent of the situation (including me).



Thursday 9:00PM - Will we have to evacuate? What about Mickey? I guess all we can do is go to bed, wait and see. If we get woken up by a policeman at our door, then we'll have to go.
Bet…

Ramsay Newsletter

In 2005 Ryan Fox and I lived happily in Bridgeland, next to a nice Italian family. One day, out of the blue, our landlords informed us that our beautiful green bungalow was being torn down to make way for two large grey houses. Our house was almost 100 years old and had a laundry chute from the bedroom closet to the top of the washing machine, so, pretty handy.
*(I made a short film in that house, that turned into a shorter film, and then not really a film at all. You can watch it here if you wish: Super 8 Film.)
In any case, it was a travesty for us, but an opportunity for them. Rental houses can be difficult to find in Calgary and moving in the winter sucks, so we were a little worried.
A few weeks later I came across a nice top floor in Ramsay for rent. "Where's Ramsay?" I asked Ryan. “Ooh, let’s move there, I love Ramsay!” That weekend we set out on a big old walk across the river to take a look.

Across the Langevin bridge, through East Village, and past Fort Calgary w…