Turning 39


I just celebrated 10 years at this engineering company. I was 28 when I started and ready for anything. 
Now I'm almost 39 and what the fuck happened to the last 10 years? Everything and nothing. 

The actual point of this post is to reminisce of the 4 most memorable birthdays I've had so here goes. 

1 -  My 33rd Birthday  I was 5 months sober, 6 weeks pregnant, and sick as a dog with Marty in a hotel room in Moose Jaw. We couldn't tour the tunnels because I kept having to puke. I got a massage and puked right after. I could only go in the hot tub for 5 minute intervals due to the pregnancy (and fear of puking). We had 50 jars of homemade pickles in the car from his Mom, and had to bring them up into our hotel room on a hotel cart because otherwise they would freeze in the car. The beauty of winter in Canada. Finally, my stomach settled and we ordered room service. I got the gnocchi and it was amazing. There's a famous photo of Marty with no shirt on, holding the hotel phone that Jeff labelled "Good evening, I'll take your finest plaid shirt". I wish I could find it to put here. 

2 -When I turned 30 I was alone at the Double Tree Hilton in Toronto, slightly drunk after just watching stand-up comedy with my ex boyfriend. I woke up in the middle of the night and watched The Fault In Our Stars on cable. I really liked this birthday because I really enjoy being alone and it felt monumental and special, and I had a credit card and was grown up enough to get a room at the Double Tree (the one that gives you a warm cookie upon checking in). A good intro to my 30s.

3 - My 23rd Birthday I had just returned from Christmas in Ontario, back to my new "home" in Calgary. I has just started dating Ryan, and we woke up on the floor because we didn't have beds yet and decided to throw an early morning party. We invited the downstairs neighbours and their 6 cats. They invited the basement neighbours who were excited to go to their first ever early morning birthday party. They enthusiastically called in sick for work.

Everyone arrived, one of the neighbours bringing me a Treatza Pizza from Dairy Queen. Georgia arranged little breakfast plates for Ryan and I with sandwiches, a clementine and little chocolates. The beauty of a Birthday between Christmas and New Years is all the little chocolates hanging around. We hung out in our furniture-less apartment and everyone was passed out by noon. That apartment went down in history for it's shitty-ness. 

4 - I want to say 2005, my 22nd birthday. Georgia and Roger threw me a party in Roger's bachelor apartment on Weller Street. Georgia spent all the money she had in her purse on me (this sort of became a tradition). There were bowls of something called trailer trash chex mix, made up of chips, pretzels, peanuts cheesies and mini marshmallows. There was an ice cream cake stuffed in the freezer that had previously already melted. The fire alarm went off and we all had to run out into the street. For a brief moment Georgia made me believe it was all part of the show, the firemen about to do a strip tease. They didn't. 


The other 35 Birthdays were pretty great too. 
I have no idea where I'll be this year, maybe Moose Jaw again!

Comments

Popular Posts