39 Songs - One from each year of my life

 





Watch here:

PLAYLIST


1. Monster Mash

One of my first memories was dancing to this song.

2. Hot Dog – Shakin’ Stevens
Another memory, while my dad vacuumed, he’d blare this.

3. Cosmetics – Gowan
Confirmed by cousin Tim, I just loved this album as a kid. I feel good feelings when I listen to it now.

4. I think We’re Alone now _ Tiffany
Reminds me of one of Rochelle’s birthday parties, dancing on the front lawn in my pajamas.

5. Got My Mind Set on You – George Harrison
Not sure where this one comes in, just reminds me of my childhood in general.

6. Randy Scouse Git – The Monkees
Same as above, the Monkees were always on and this is one of my favourite songs.

7. Hold On – Wilson Phillips
One of my favourite first bands.

8. Everything I do – Bryan Adams
Robin Hood movie had just come out and I remember sitting in my sisters waterbed listening to this and eating chocolate.

9. One of Us – Joan Osborne
My first cassette tape, never paid for thanks to Columbia Records.

10. . The Flintstones – B52s
Did a dance to this song with my jazz class, we performed it at Crary Park and I remember that day vividly.

11 New Age Girl – Dead Eye Dick
From the Dumb and Dumber Soundtrack, listened to this a lot with Holly while attending Interac Drama camp.

12. Thinking of You – Hanson
The start of my fan girl years.

13. Fake Plastic Trees – Radiohead
Was on the Clueless soundtrack, couldn’t get enough of it.

14. Beautiful – Joydrop
My first “concert” as they performed at the Millbrook fair or something. The start of my love for live music as I squished myself up to the very front in awe of the energy.

15. La Vita e Bella – Nicola Piovani
The movie and music that led me to Italy at 16 for an exchange.

16. Sexx Laws – Beck
One of my first albums, I loved every track.

17.  Night Swimming – REM
Camp Kawartha counsellor years, this was on our camp cd and felt reminiscent of our time there.

18. Atlantic City – The Band
The start of seeing live music in and around Peterborough, I had just read a book about the Band and was on a kick.

19. Beast of Burden – The Rolling Stones
My year off between highschool and college hanging around Peterborough and being schooled in music by the locals.

20. Wild Horses – The Rolling Stones
Performed by the house band at the Red Dog on a regular basis.

21. The Band – The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Another one performed a lot, one of my favourites to this day.

22. Have Love Will Travel – The Sonics
The beginning of Calgary and Ryan Fox.

23. Human Fly – The Cramps
Calgary days, buying vans and driving west with abandon.

24. Space Oddity - David Bowie
Was introduced to David Bowie by some beauties, one of my favourites to this day.

25. End Times - The Eels
The loss of Ryan, and an album gifted to me by my brother that fateful year.

26. Dirty Diana – Michael Jackson
Loved this song, was my ringtone for a couple of years while I worked at the Unicorn. Introduced to me by Michael fan, Jackie Aune.

27. Inner City Blues – Rodriguez
Sugarman Documentary came out around here and I was obsessed. His music is still one of the most haunting…

28. South Tacoma Way – Neko Case
The Neko Case years, right around the time I started to seriously play the guitar. She made me wanna sing.

29. Only If For a Night – Florence and The Machine
I bought myself this album as a reward for being on a treadmill for 30 minutes everyday for a week, thus beginning my attempts at tricking myself into working out. I highly recommend this practice.

30. Get Home – Sarah Slean
I spent a lot of evenings driving to and from set while working on a movie, listening to this album and contemplating the complexities of my life.

31. Seasons - Future Islands
This song was the soundtrack to this entire year, and I remember it well.

32. About the flood - David Newberry
I discovered David’s haunting music and it was the soundtrack to many a days around this time.

33. From A Window Seat – Dawes
A beautiful song and band introduced to me by Marty.

34. Folding Chair – Regina Spektor
Same as above, not to mention this song provided a glimpse at our future.

35. Good Winter – Rah Rah
A Canadian anthem I can’t get enough of and reminds me of early Bernadette days.

36. New Birth in New England – Phosphorescent
I always felt like this song was about having babies, and I was having Henry around this time.

37. Dreamin’ – Skinny Dick
This song was on repeat this whole summer, on our own stereo and on CKUA, and it perfectly summed it all up.

38. Summer’s End – John Prine
John was on a lot last year, as we’d just lost him and I felt I’d only just discovered him.

39. St Cloud – Waxahatchee
Just my current favourite, feels like the song of the year.

 

Comments

Popular Posts